Introduction to moving water - Canoe
Are you a flat water paddler who wants that little bit more excitement? Then this course is for you. We will take your exciting paddling skills and transfer them to moving water. In a relaxed informative atmosphere learn the basics of breaking in, breaking out, ferry gliding and river running. At the end of the day you will leave with a better understanding of and the confidence in paddling on moving water.
The aim of the course is to develop an understanding of moving water and to transfer your flat water skills. The course will be undertaken on simple moving water.
What's in the course?
The course will cover the following topics:
- Lifting carrying launching landing
- Efficient forward paddling
- Entering, crossing and exiting a simple flow
- Support strokes
- River Running
- Use of Throw Lines & Other Rescue Equipment
This is a non assessed course.
What experience do I need?
- You should be a competent paddler before attending this course, holding the BCU 1* or equivalent experience (equal to several days paddling).
- Be able to swim in normal paddlesport clothing suitable for the prevailing conditions.
What equipment do I need?
Will can provide canoe, buoyancy aid, paddle and helmet if required. Please be suitable dressed for the environment (contact if not sure). Hot and cold drinks will be provided, bring your own lunch / snacks.
If you have them:
- Tow line OR Tow system
- Rescue knife
Coach to Paddler Ratio
Maximum coach to paddler ratio 1:6