- This event has passed.
National Navigation – Bronze Award
1st January 2018 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
The Bronze award enables you to be able to plan and follow routes in the countryside using paths and tracks.
- Understand the nature of a map as a two dimensional plan.
- Understand how to use map symbols and scales, on a variety of maps.
- Take a 6 figure grid reference for any given position and also locate such a reference on the map.
- Orientate the map with and without a compass.
- Use the orientated map to identify land features and indicate direction of travel.
- Choose simple navigation strategies and routes.
- Use linear features (e.g. paths and tracks) as handrails in simple navigation exercises.
- Estimate distance on both map and ground.
- Using a basic understanding of contours, match major landforms like hills and valleys to their map representation.
- Plan a safe, suitable walk.
- Relocate using simple techniques on paths and other handrails.
- Understand access rights and responsibilities.
- Demonstrate an awareness of local and national access issues and access legislation.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the Countryside Code, and of procedures to be followed in the event of an emergency.
- Individual: From £100
- Group of 4: £320