Hill & Moorland Leader AwardDesigned for people who want to lead groups in the hill and moorland areas of the UK and Ireland
The Hill and Moorland Leader Award is designed for people who want to lead groups in the hill and moorland areas of the UK and Ireland. These areas include the Peak District, North Yorkshire Moors and Dales, Dartmoor and similar countryside. This award is a wonderful opportunity to learn the leadership skills required to feel confident about taking people out walking. As you may have guessed from the descriptive title of this award, it focuses on non-mountainous terrain.
Our courses are provided by Pete Goldsmith MIC IML, who is an MLTE provider, number 546. Our own David is a registered Course Director for this award with Mountain Training, working under Pete’s provider-ship.
Training and assessments are, normally, based in the Yorkshire Dales, but, can be run anywhere in North Yorkshire.
In a previous life this award was called the Walking Group Leader, and we think the new name better describes the award and makes more sense. This way, everyone knows where they (can) stand. The ‘overnight experience’ element of the WGL has been removed and there is now a separate Camping Leader which can be ‘bolted on’ to the Hill and Moorland Leader if you want to increase the scope of your award to include overnight experiences.
The prerequisites for registration are as follows:
- You must be at least 18 years old
- You should have at least a year’s worth of experience of hill walking
- You should have an interest in leading groups in the hills
- You must be a member of a mountaineering council: BMC, Mountaineering Scotland or Mountaineering Ireland (you can join one when you register if you’re not already a member)
If you can tick all of the above boxes, here’s what to do next:
- Create an account on our Candidate Management System or log in if you already have one.
- Register for the Hill and Moorland Leader scheme (this costs £49)