Introduction to Moving Water - Kayak or Canoe
Are you a flat water paddler who wants that little bit more excitement? Then this course is for you. We will take your exciting paddling skills and transfer them to moving water. In a relaxed informative atmosphere learn the basics of breaking in, breaking out, ferry gliding and river running. At the end of the day you will leave with a better understanding of and the confidence in paddling on moving water.
The aim of the course is to develop an understanding of moving water and to transfer your flat water skills to moving water. The course will be undertaken on moving water up to grade 2.
Maximum coach to paddler ratio 1:6
The course will cover the following topics:
- Lifting carrying launching landing
- Efficient forward paddling
- Breaking In & Out
- Ferry Gliding
- Surfing Small Waves
- River Running
- Use of Throw Lines & Other Rescue Equipment
This is a non assessed course.
- You should be a competent paddler before attending this course; holding the Explore Paddle Award, BCU 2* or equivalent experience (equal to several days paddling).
- Be able to swim in normal paddlesport clothing suitable for the prevailing conditions.
We can provide kayaks and canoes, paddles, helmets and buoyancy aids. If you have your own equipment, you are strongly encouraged to bring and use it (there is nothing better than getting to know what you can and can’t do with your own kit!). Please be suitable dressed for possible time spent in cold water; we can supply drysuits for a small extra charge. Hot and cold drinks will be provided, bring your own lunch / snacks.
If you have them, please bring:
- Canoe or kayak
- Buoyancy aid
- Rescue knife